Tuesday, November 12, 2013

How to Warm Up an Older House

It is the second week in November, and this afternoon I had my kids playing in the snow in the yard after school.  We still have pumpkins on the porch from Halloween.  You know you live in Northeast Ohio when. . .













So, long time, no blog updates!  The good news for me is that typically when the blogging drops off it is because business is picking up!  I have been lucky to work with a lot of buyers this fall, and they keep me on my toes.  It reminds me though of one of the reasons I love my job - I love showing houses.  It is so much fun to get to see inside so many homes in the area, and my clients have a variety of tastes, so I get to see them all.

One of my loves is older homes and I have always been drawn to them.  As you probably know though, one of the drawbacks of older homes is that they are not as energy efficient as some of the newer homes.  The good news is that with a little updating, you can have the charm of an older home with the warmth of a newer one.  According to this article I read, any home built before 1983 can have energy issues.  

Here are some tips on warming up that old house that I found in an article on the Zillow Blog - 5 Ways to Warm Up an Older House .  It seemed like a good day to post it.

5 Ways to Warm Up an Older House


  1.   Do an energy audit. - If you haven't heard of this before, it is basically a way of analyzing your home to see the places that either warm air is leaking out, or cold air is coming in.  If you live in a drafty older home, odds are you know where these spots are.  If you have the money and would like to hire a professional, someone can come to your home and do a complete audit of your house, and also suggest ways to improve it.  If you would like an easier DIY method, on a windy day, light a stick of incense and walk around to the doors and windows in your home.  If the smoke from the incense is blown in away from the windows, you have a place where cold air is entering.  If it is pulled out away towards the door or window, that is a place where your home is losing warm air.  In these places, simply adding caulk or insulation can help to improve the situation immensely.                                                
  2. Check your windows and doors -  Did you know that a 1/8 inch gap between your door causes as much trouble as a 2.4 in hole in the wall?  I didn't!  Sealing gaps around windows and doors is one simple and cost effective way to warm up your home.  Add weatherstripping around loose doors and windows and consider sealing your windows with plastic sheeting in the winter.  Even adding blinds and curtains to your windows will help keep that cold air out and warm air in.                                                                                                                                  
  3. Insulate - Many older homes have inadequate insulation.  Some don't have any at all!  One thing you can do is have someone come in to blow insulation into your walls.  They can add a nonflammable foam resin in your walls between interior and exterior walls, and it can often be done in a day.  This can be a pricey solution, but very effective.                                                                                          
  4. Install a programmable thermostat - A programmable thermostat can make the best use of your heat by being set to keep the house toasty when you are home, and cooler when the house is empty.  There are even some that learn your preferences and adjust accordingly.  Have you heard of the Nest thermostat?  I am dying to get one.  It learns your schedule within days, and can be programmed on the go from your smartphone so that your house is ready if you are coming home early.  Technology that works for you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  5. Consider alternate heat sources - One thing to consider is radiant heat.  Radiant heat is being installed in newer homes, but can also be fitted to older homes.  Keeping your floors warm helps to keep your whole house warm, and also you never have to worry about cold floors in the morning!  It is energy efficient and warms up the actual structure of your home - not just the air.  Other options are space heaters or pellet stoves.  All of these choices are ones I found articles on by Bob Vila and linked here!   I know that many people trust Bob!       
On a day like today, I'm looking around my own home and thinking that an energy audit is in order!  We live in a home that is just older than me, and it does have some areas we could improve.  Stay tuned for more articles coming up, and maybe even a peek into my home and my part of Northeast Ohio!  

Stay warm!








1 comment:

  1. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks brsm.io/buy-real-facebook-post-likes

    ReplyDelete