Tuesday, November 26, 2013

For you Protection - Get an Inspection!

Reading through some real estate articles, I ran across one on home inspections.  This is a topic I cover with my buyers a lot, and one where there is often some misconception.  Feeling inspired, I sat down to write out some of my advice.  

1.  Check your inspectors credentials!  The first thing that surprised me about home inspections is that Ohio is one of the only states that doesn't have a test to call yourself a home inspector!  Technically, I could hang a sign on my door and start charging people for home inspections.  I have heard horror stories from other agents of buyers who tried to save a few bucks, hired their good old Uncle Larry to do the inspection and had a horrible experience.  

Luckily, there is an association called ASHI that helps home buyers and sellers to find a responsible home inspector.  ASHI is a professional organization for home inspectors.  They have a code of ethics and standards for inspection.  Finding an ASHI certified inspector is easy, just ask your Realtor, or check their website.

2.  Do a "pre-inspection" with a trusted friend or relative - I don't think I have had a buyer yet that hasn't had an Uncle Gary, Brother Jimmy, or my friend/relative who does construction.  My best advice to my buyers is to bring that person to your second showing!  They can often spot some concerns before you even make a purchase.  It isn't an official inspection, but it might give you some points to think about before you make an offer, or at least some talking points with your home inspector.

3.  Attend your home inspection - Obviously this is not always possible, especially if you are buying from out of state, but make all efforts to attend your home inspection.  When you get the report, there will be many terms that are unfamiliar, but when you are following your inspector around, they often will explain things in plain English.  

4.  Take notes and ask questions! - That is what your inspector is there for.  My very first home inspection I attended was with an inspector who reminded me of my Grandpa.  Not only did he complete the entire thing taking notes by hand, he treated my clients like they were his own kids.  He told them his advice for basic home maintenance, things he would change to improve airflow, etc, and pointed out all the features of their new home.  This was exactly what my first time homebuyers needed.  It was great, and gave me high expectations for future inspectors!  

5.  Understand that your seller doesn't have to fix a thing - All occupied homes are bought in used condition.  Understand when you buy your home that you are also buying any problems that home has developed over the years.  Now, this doesn't mean that if you discover a major issue with something that you don't have some bargaining room.  By all means, work with your realtor to come up with a solution.  A seller could choose to fix the problems themselves, reduce the purchase price to help cover repairs, or to do nothing.  It is up to you as a buyer what you want to do from there.  

I always advise my buyers to get an inspection and I have attended almost every one.  I learn something new every time!  One last thing that I would recommend though, speaks to sellers.  If you have concerns about your house, get an inspection before you list your house!  Sound crazy?  Better to be prepared!  If you don't know that your roof is bad, the foundation is cracked and you have an outdated electric panel, you will be in for a big shock when your buyer's home inspector finds it.  If you can fix your house ahead of time, it might be cheaper in the long run, and it won't lead to a nasty surprise after you have found the buyers and started packing your house up to move.

Get an inspection!  Happy House Hunting!  




  

  





No comments:

Post a Comment