When I am working with buyers, I try to remind them that they need to keep an open mind with the houses we see. Look at the bones of the house, think about the neighborhood, the space, the location. If you are willing to put some work into the cosmetics of a house, you can find a diamond in the rough.
Sometimes, you find a house where it is hard to see past the decor, frequently from another decade of style.
 |
| This is my basement, by the way. The couch did not come with the house. |
 |
| (Or there is a ghostly looking kid in the picture) |
Or maybe you can't visualize how to use a space.
Or in far, far too many cases, you find this.
In my market, the golden age of wallpaper was alive and well not that long ago, and frankly, I am a little surprised at how many people are still living with the paper they put up in the 70's. Now, there is a chance wallpaper is making a comeback. I am not a decorator by profession. I had young clients the other day telling me about plans to put some up in their new house. I know there are still shelves of wallpaper books at the local paint store, and I myself have even walked into a house and said, "This isn't bad, I could live with this".
In my own house though, the wallpaper has become the enemy. When we bought our house, every wall, including the basement, was covered in wallpaper. It was on the ceiling of one of the bathrooms. It has taken us just over a year and a half to get through 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, the family room and the dining room. Some of those rooms were easy, some were hard. The last one required an electric sander to get the remainder off. I feel like I am becoming a wallpaper removal expert. Every room in our house has required slightly different methods to get it off, but the results have been so worth it.
Sadly, I can't tell you that all of the above rooms have been saved. But, since I have before and after photos of my own house, I thought I could share a couple of our DIY projects, to show you that there really is life after wallpaper.
 |
| Dining Room Before |
 |
And After
|
 |
| Kid's bathroom Before |
 |
| Kids Bathroom After |
 |
| My daughter's room - yes, that is orange shag carpet |
 |
| And After. |
My point? People frequently ask me why we ended up with our house. We were lucky, and we were smart. We knew there was potential, knew that there was life after wallpaper, and one room at a time we are conquering it. A buyer with an open mind is going to find that diamond in the rough, if they are willing to look beyond what is there, to what could be.
Happy House Hunting, and happy remodeling! I have wallpaper removal tips if tips if you need them (short version - get the steamer!), and would be happy to help you find the home of your dreams!
Sadly, there was only one room in our house where the paper was so bad that it was peeling itself. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment