Thursday, August 15, 2013

Here come the Millennials

There's been a lot of talk in the news lately about the Millennials.  From my understanding, the Millennials are the generation that came after Generation X, formerly called Generation Y.  There is a lot of buzz in my industry about the Millennials and how they might impact the market.

Just to get myself started with this post, I went ahead and googled Millennials.  It turns out that I am a Gen Xer by about a year and a half.  So this young generation is. . . a lot of people I know.  Looking at my search results, recent articles written within the past day I found include the following:

When Should Millennials Finally Move out? 

Let's Give Millennials a Chance

Tips for Millennials Who Want a Mortgage

Look into the Hears of the 'We Generation': Column

I had two sales that closed for my buyers in the past week or so.  Both of these buyers were of the Millennial generation.  One single guy, one couple with a young child.  Both sales went smoothly.  Both sets of buyers were extremely easy to work with, understood and were happy to use technology, and were flexible with their wants.  They used the tools I gave them to search for homes, and ran with it.  I had compliments on both ends for working with them, and responding to their questions and needs quickly.

In short, I don't see the concerns about this Millennial generation!

Maybe, what that says though is something about me.  Both of these buyers used texting as their main form of communication with me.  Emails were responded to quickly because they were getting them on their phones.  Both used the internet to search for homes, and brought their lists to me.

Gone are the days where you need to wait for your agent to find you the house of your dreams.  Gone are the days where people can't google for information when they need it.  Gone are the buyers who don't have a GPS in their phone, or even their car, so finding homes isn't an issue.  You need an agent that realizes this.  You need an agent who is happy to return your texts at the time you need an answer.  You need an agent who is comfortable with technology, social media and isn't intimidated by a buyer that knows their stuff.

There was an article in my inbox this morning that had a very positive message for Millennials.  The message is basically this:  Now is the time.  Pricing has bottomed, the affordability index is low and jobs are coming back.  You don't want to look back a year or two from now and wish you had bought a home at this time.

Read the full article here:

A Message to Millennials for Our Future

So I say, bring on the Millenials!  Contact Me today if I can help make your dream of home ownership a reality!



Picture by my daughter Maggie, age 4.  I believe she will be Generation Z.  


No comments:

Post a Comment